You are required to read and agree to the below before accessing a full-text version of an article in the IDE article repository.

The full-text document you are about to access is subject to national and international copyright laws. In most cases (but not necessarily all) the consequence is that personal use is allowed given that the copyright owner is duly acknowledged and respected. All other use (typically) require an explicit permission (often in writing) by the copyright owner.

For the reports in this repository we specifically note that

  • the use of articles under IEEE copyright is governed by the IEEE copyright policy (available at
  • the use of articles under ACM copyright is governed by the ACM copyright policy (available at
  • technical reports and other articles issued by M‰lardalen University is free for personal use. For other use, the explicit consent of the authors is required
  • in other cases, please contact the copyright owner for detailed information

By accepting I agree to acknowledge and respect the rights of the copyright owner of the document I am about to access.

If you are in doubt, feel free to contact

A biological plausible recurrent model of V1 hypercolumns



Tunca Ulubilge , Atahan Afsar , Baran Çürüklü

Publication Type:

Conference/Workshop Paper


BMC Neuroscience


BioMed Central Ltd




A biological plausible model of hypercolumn of V1 layer in the Primary Visual Cortex, modeled in the NEST Environment [1], is presented. The model addresses experimental findings on emergence of orientaIon selecIvity which occurs in the V1 [2]. The network model is derived from the Bayesian confidence propagaIon neural network, which was presented earlier [3, 4]. It is hypothesized that a modular recurrent network model can be used to address orientaIon selecIvity mechanism [2]. Thus, the columnar organizaIon of primary visual cortex is assumed [5]. The network consists of 16 minicolumn models each represenIng an orientaIon, ranging from 0o to 168.75o, with the angular distance of 11.25o between two adjacent minicolumn models. LGN input is broadly tuned, half‐width of half‐height (HWHH) is 40 o. Excitatory‐>Excitatory network targets all neurons with the probability of 60% inside the host minicolumn with a HWHH of 25o as a funcIon of distance (ESPSs = 3.15 mV). Inhibitory‐ >Excitatory is connected with the probability of 40% (ISPSs = ‐5.85mV). Excitatory‐>Inhibitory connecIons target all neurons with the probability of 40%, and HWHH of 67.5o as a funcIon of distance (ESPSs = 1.35 mV). Furthermore, LGN input is 1/3 of corIcal excitaIon. Hypercolumn model also reflects biological phenomenon of background acIvity caused by random corIcal


author = {Tunca Ulubilge and Atahan Afsar and Baran {\c{C}}{\"u}r{\"u}kl{\"u}},
title = {A biological plausible recurrent model of V1 hypercolumns},
volume = {12(Suppl 1)},
month = {July},
year = {2011},
booktitle = {BMC Neuroscience},
publisher = {BioMed Central Ltd},
url = {}